Petitchef

All recipes are on Petitchef

Wednesday 28 March 2012

Vattayappam / Sweet Rice bread

Hey folks ! meeting you all after a long time with a sweet recipe !


I had first tasted this dish at one of my keralite friends home way back in school days!! Her mother used to have this hot and ready when we visited her home during sports day, carnivals or just in the evening for a chit chat. I was having a chat with one of my very close mallu friend who helped me with the recipe by sharing Jisha's link. I first tried this at my mom's place and it was warmly welcomed.I was informed that my granny used to prepare a similar dish like this when I was a toddler!! But I don't remember eating them at all as a toddler.... Then again, I tried this out within a week at my home and my folks (in-laws) knew this recipe!  They hail from Tirunelveli and call it as Viveka. But again they have some more ingredients to be added to the one i have listed out here. 


Ingredients :

Pachaarusi / Raw rice - 2 cups
Sugar                      - 1/2 cup
Grated Coconut         - 1 cup
Cooked rice              - 1 cup
Yeast                      - 1/2 tsp or 10 granules
Salt                         - a pinch
Cardamom powder    - a pinch 


Method:

Wash the raw rice well and soak in water for 5-6 hrs.
Add the grated coconut, cooked rice and sugar to the grinder first and let it grind well.
Add the rice after draining the water.
Add the cardamom powder next.
Sprinkle water little by little. Take caution not to pour water as we have added sugar already. 
The batter should not be watery. The consistency of the batter should be between Idli batter and Dosa batter.
Before grinding the above, soak the yeast in lukewarm water.



Once the batter is ready, add the dissolved yeast, salt and mix well.
Keep the batter to ferment for 8-10 hrs.
Mix the fermented batter well and pour it on to a greased dish. You can also pour it on greased idli plates. Use ghee to grease. 
Steam it for 15 minutes. The more the batter poured the longer time it will take to cook. So insert a knife greased with ghee to check if the appam is cooked well. 
You can sprinkle some roasted cashews, raisins on the batter before steaming. Personally i am not in favor of nuts so didn't do it in my version. You can also add cut or smashed bananas to the batter before steaming.


You can also check out Vattayappam at Annita's :http://deepann.wordpress.com/2008/07/15/vattayappam/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...